Thursday, January 5, 2012

Holiday fever!

The last two classes before winter break were a little challenging but the good news is I found my rose water spray - which is the biggest draw to my class I think! Like I've mentioned in earlier blogs, the kids find it so rewarding. I think it might have something to do with the high temperature in the yoga studio
.
Because I rotate 22 children 6 at a time, my classes may seem like they are all the same because I do similar things - 4 classes in a row, just with different children.
I added a few challenging poses adding pigeon, lion and other animals, and then I tried something new. I wanted them to look at other yoga practitioners in poses to inspire them to push for nicer form in their own practice, so I found a book with photographs of a person in 1,ooo different poses.
They each picked a number between 1 and 1,000, then I went to that page and we all tried to do the pose on the page number they picked.. The first challenge for these K-1 students was thinking of a high number! Once they did, we all bonded over how hard or easy the pose ended up being. I just wanted to give them a glimpse of what could be if they stuck with yoga.
They always beg for waterfall, because they love partner poses so I obliged.
This year I will be incorporating more storytelling while we do yoga and possibly reward good behavior by allowing someone to tell a story during svasana..
Happy new year!









No comments:

Post a Comment