Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pigeons, Bridges and Rainstorms










Pigeons, bridges and rainstorms were some of the visuals we used today in yoga and after just a few classes I've noticed the kids are already more aware of their bodies.

After using lesson plans initially, I realized that I needed to be more flexible and go along with their ideas. For example, I would start by saying we were going on a trip in the jungle and I would have a specific animal in mind to begin with. The kids would blurt out another animal. I now say - "Great! Let's all try and create a pose that looks like that animal!" Then then they'd each get a turn to pick the next animal we encounter on our trip into the jungle. This kept them much more engaged and through their suggestions we ended up as frogs hopping around on the "lily pads" - our mats, eagles in eagle pose, then we climbed a mountain into mountain pose. I just guided their creative energy and ideas so they took me on a yoga journey.

The favorite pose of the day was pigeon pose. Two students said they didn't want to get out of the pose because it felt so good and they were really trying to do it precisely.

For our group exercise I had them get in a circle facing their neighbors backs. I had them imagine a rainstorm and then asked them to create a rainstorm on the back in front of them. They tapped their fingers on the backs then created thunder, lightning etc. No one got to carried away and everyone had a great time figuring out how to create a storm onto another person using their fingers.

Bridge pose was another success because I made it a game this time. I helped them with their hand placement on the mat, then said they had to go up high enough into their bridge pose to allow their partner to crawl underneath them. They partnered up and took turns being the bridge and the boat.

While we were in svasana I began a short visualization by asking the kids to imagine the most beautiful place they have seen. One student said the yoga room, which was nice, and another kid said Montana. I love Montana as well, so I started describing Montana and the mountains and streams - again using thier ideas so they hopefully felt heard and powerful.

As they lay on their mats at the end, they started giggling and I just let them for a while because - it just feels so great to giggle!

No comments:

Post a Comment